• Advertisement
Briden Solutions - Freeze dried food and camping gear in Canada

Manual deep well pump

Homestead Discussion

Manual deep well pump

Postby MizzuMule » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm

I've been looking into replacing the electric deep well pump on my property with a manual had pump for emergency (self reliant) water needs (I have existing county water) but the cost of the reputable pump suppliers are beyond my humble finances. Both the Bison pump and the Simple pump are in the $1000 range in cost, way beyond my budget. Both of these pumps have issues with the weight of the push rod that drives the foot valve/piston at the bottom of the draw pipe, this is why they require a large lever handles to pry the rod weight up in order to pump. Sounds like a real work-out for water.

I found this gentleman selling plans and kits for a cable driven pump that uses a wire/spring combination to drive the foot valve/piston. Less effort but low volume because of the short stroke design. http://www.woodhenge.org/2009/05/this-i ... thout.html

Finally I found an engineering solution to deep well manual pumps designed to be simple and low effort for much higher volume pumping. http://www.econologica.org/yardpump.html

"Problems of Standard Hand and Wind Pumps and Our Solutions

The standard reciprocating pumps used at the bottom of the well effectively rely on the pump rod weight to return them, so pedal drives and small windrotors have to be geared slower. This gravity return also limits the stroke of the pump, so requiring a larger cylinder and borehole; and stiff rigid rising main as well as pump rods to transmit the small upstroke down to the cylinder. So maintenance of the pump and its valves is a very heavy and risky disassembly of the rods if not the rising main.

Our pullpumps have hydraulic return of the piston faster than gravity to allow faster (i.e. foot treadle) pumping at larger strokes, so the wellbore can be smaller and cheaper. And we can use continuous, flexible, lightweight and economical pump wire and rising main for much easier transport, installation, and maintenance. Our unique piston has a dedicated static seal below its working stroke for absolutely no leakback, and pulling it beyond its working stroke effortlessly releases the water column and brings all the valves and seals to the surface for incredibly easy and foolproof maintenance. In our Cottagepump rope can be run laterally inside a buried side pipe for pumping from inside a cabin even in winter."

The "shuttle pipe" that acts like both foot valve and piston. PE tubing is used for the drop pipe and a PVC tube for the shuttle to slide in. Very easy to install.

MizzuMule
Rank 9
Rank 9

Re: Manual deep well pump

Postby Survival Bill » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:21 pm

let us know what you setup in the end and how well it works for you I will be very interested in the info...
May the Forest be with you!

Survival Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Hillbilly » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:18 pm

This is another place that offers homesteading equipment.
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water___Wa ... 0802?Args=
The survivor’s attitude is the most important element of the will to survive. With the proper attitude, almost anything is possible.
Hillbilly
Rank 19
Rank 19

Postby pinecone » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:25 am

You can also turn up some options if you know what search criterea to enter into some of the file share search engines too.

If you only have to worry about 250 feet or less to reach a reasonable "well head," you can still rely upon electricity- 12 volt or 24 volts to operate your pump. Northern tool did carry them for a while, but this is an alternative source out of Kansas for the same basic pump. A little spendy at about 700 dollars, but ideal for a low voltage homestead (you do have to scroll down a little ways as what they show at the top is similar to the first items mentioned, and not too bad for a price, however what I am describing is effectively a "drop in replacement" for an existing well.:
http://www.kansaswindpower.net/pumps,_submersible.htm

"Even mountains must succumb to rain."

You can blow out a candle
But you cant blow out a fire
Once the flames begin to catch
The wind will blow it higher
pinecone
M.I.A
M.I.A

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 pm

I found a simple emergency deep well solution online some where , I will try to find a link, too simple either a solid pipe made from lenghts of ridgid plastic water pipe or the down hole line to a sump pump (if S really hits the fan ) hooked to a 1'' foot valve . on the down stroke the pipe fills with water and you lift the pipe until it gets too heavy ,down stroke fills again until water comes out the top. hard work but survival isn't easy.
" If you Don't believe in perpetual motion Try to stop STUPIDITY"
Grizz
Grizz
Rank 10
Rank 10

Postby pinecone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:17 am

Actually it is far simpler to just use a pumping windmill for the task if you have to bring it up any depth. Aermotor, ironmanwindmill, are just two, I have probably another half dozen bookmarked in other parts of the world too.

If you insist on trying to lift water 60 feet by hand, you are better off with a setup designed for the task rather than an improvised setup. In other words- if it is in your plan- buy it ahead of time or assemble the parts ahead of time- often you can salvage the foot valve and body and the drop rods- but once you figure your time and fuel have value too- you should shop around. But your window of opportunity to do this is closing fast.

http://www.windmillstore.com/handpumps.htm

pinecone
M.I.A
M.I.A

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:02 pm

pinecone wrote:Actually it is far simpler to just use a pumping windmill for the task if you have to bring it up any depth. Aermotor, ironmanwindmill, are just two, I have probably another half dozen bookmarked in other parts of the world too.

If you insist on trying to lift water 60 feet by hand, you are better off with a setup designed for the task rather than an improvised setup. In other words- if it is in your plan- buy it ahead of time or assemble the parts ahead of time- often you can salvage the foot valve and body and the drop rods- but once you figure your time and fuel have value too- you should shop around. But your window of opportunity to do this is closing fast.

http://www.windmillstore.com/handpumps.htm

If I have enough warning I will load up 1 or my 100 KVA Cat gensets and 10000 gallons or diesel . a brass 1 '' foot valve can be put in a back pack and carried with you ,simple easy cheap first responce
" If you Don't believe in perpetual motion Try to stop STUPIDITY"
Grizz
Grizz
Rank 10
Rank 10

Postby pinecone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 am

Key word is "if." Chances are there will be little if any warning.

pinecone
M.I.A
M.I.A

Postby cadetdaddy » Wed May 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Archimedes screw ring a bell?
I have a PhD in Awesome.